I'm sure a lot of you have gone through something medically or metally and needed a friend to lean on or had someone help you through whatever it was be it friends, family, doctors, nurses or just a random stranger off the street. Over the years so many people have helped me including nurses, doctors, family, friends and my pets and I always felt like and still do feel like a burden to everyone at times. Over the past year I've been angry, depressed, so upset to the point I'd cry for hours on end and I felt like I was under an enormous black cloud that I couldn't get out from under. A few friends have stuck by me through it never judging me for the ways I feel and I thank them so much for that, they have given me hope and strength when I've needed it the most.
Lately I've decided to find ways to give back to others and turn something bad into a positive experience since so many people have helped me throughout my life. It's that whole paying it forward thing ya know. I started buying stuffed animals over the summer with my spare changes after breaking a dollar and by last week I had 108 stuffed animals total bagged up in my closet. I decided to donate them to Kosairs Childrens Hospital in Louisville, KY because I was in and out of Kosairs when I was younger with my stomach problems. I remember getting a black teddy bear when I was admitted there once and it made my stay so much easier having a teddy bear to hug when my mom and dad were working and I was at the hospital alone. Being a kid alone in a giant hospital was scary but having a teddy with me helped and I wanted to help a boy or girl or more then a few feel safe with a stuffed animal like someone had once done for me. Yesterday my friend and I made the drive to drop them off and it felt great being able to help others and give back and help others like so many have helped me.
I also picked up my medicine yesterday and I have to go to a local free/cheap health clinic because I have no insurance. My mom had to give me $15 for my medicine because I'm pretty much flat broke. Well I went in and paid for my medicine and got the piece of paper to take to the pharmacy so I could pick up my medicine. I had $1 left and when I walked out the door a black lady in her 40's or so said "excuse me mam but would you happen to have any change I can barrow I'm thirsty and have no money." I had never been called mam before and it felt weird. I felt sorry for her and gave her my left over $1 to buy a coke. I have hardly any money myself but gave it to her anyway because I just couldn't say no and that's me. Later in the day when my friend and I went to White Castles for lunch we each got two free cheeseburgers because they had made the wrong order for someone. I take that as a sign from God that I did good by giving that lady my extra dollar which I could'nt afford to give away and God was paying me back for doing good.
You can give back too and turn whatever you're going through into something positive it just takes a bit of thought and heart. Start by doing something small like donating stuffed animals to a charity, giving a homeless person your spare change or putting money into the bell ringers bucket at walmart. Start small and work your way up to helping in bigger ways. If you make jewelry, paint, knit or crochet make items to sell and donate a porton of the proceeds from your sells to a charity that is close to your heart. Try volunteering at a local nursing home or bringing your pet into schools or nursing homes for therapy. Or try volunteering at a local animal rescue or animal hospital. There are many ways to give back and it makes you feel extremely good, like you're not useless no matter what health problems you have you can do something good, you can give back and change lives no matter how small your gesture of good will is, it will come back to you in good ways. You can turn whatever you're going through into something good by giving back to others and being there for them like so many have done for you during illness or tragedy.
Give back and feel good about it!
No comments:
Post a Comment